Halal Gyu Katsu ~Gyu katsu is trending? Make one at home!~
Written by Rahmania Radjadi (www.rahmaniaradjadi.com)
For this last couple months, there are a couple question that a lot of my friends from Indonesia who wanted to travel to Japan asked me. From all of the questions they asked, there is 2 questions that is same and to be honest with you, I feel a little bit bored being questioned these again and again. The 2 questions are “Where can I find a gyu katsu restaurant?” and “is gyu katsu halal?”.
This made me thinking ‘what is up with the gyu katsu’ that almost every friend who are preparing to travel to Japan are were asking it. After a couple of research and searching some locations of the gyu katsu, unfortunately most of them probably are not halal. So, I decided to make my own recipe at home, which I will share the recipe for you here.
Most of the gyu katsu restaurant use the wagyu beef, and because finding a halal wagyu beef in my area is hard, I substitute it with a normal beef like tenderloin or sirloin. If you could find a halal wagyu near your area, it is best to use it because I think it will be more delicious using wagyu.
This recipe is for 2 servings
• 2 steak cut beef with 3 cm of thickness remove most fat
• 1 cup of flour
• 1 egg
• 1 cup of panko or bread crumbs
• 1⁄2 cup of soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
• Cooking oil
• 1 Piece of kombu
Dipping sauce instructions:
- Get a sauce pan, pour the soy sauce and brown sugar into it
- Bring it to a boil in high heat then put the kombu inside. After about 3-5 minutes, remove the
- Continue boiling until the sauce is a little bit thick
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for cooling
- After cooling down, serve it in a small dipping bowl
- Get 3 bowl, one for flour, beaten egg, and the panko
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on each sides of the beef
- Heat a fry pan in a high heat with enough amount of oil to deep fry the beef
- Follow this exact steps. Coat the beef with flour, coat the beef with the beaten egg, and last coat it with the panko. You have to make sure that each coat are covering every sides of the beef
- Fry the beef for only 1 minute on each side for a medium cook beef inside, 3 minutes for well done with reducing the heat into medium heat
- After frying process is finished, let the beef rest for about 3-5 minutes
- Your gyu katsu is ready, serve it with salad and the dipping sauce
If you are one of the people who got the hype of the gyu katsu trend, then you should try to make one at home as it is truly an easy cooking. I hope you enjoy it and like the recipe!